Big Springs Historical Society

Big Springs Historical Society

Volunteer History Sleuths Needed!

Nearby Museums

400px-Geneseecountryvillage
Genesee Country Village & Museum
1410 Flint Hill Road
Mumford, NY 14511
(585) 538-6822
Contact: info@gcv.org
URL: www.gcv.org
 

The Genesee Country Village & Museum, chartered by the New York State Education Department as an educational institution, was founded with the goal of preserving prime examples of architecture from upstate New York to provide historical context for the telling of the history of New York State and America in the 19th century.

 


Big Springs Historical Society & Museum
3095 Main St.
Caledonia, NY 14423
(585) 538-9880
Contact: bigspringshistoricalsociety@gmail.com
URL: www.bigspringsmuseum.org
The Big Springs Museum’s collection is comprised of objects that reflect the history of the Caledonia-Mumford community located in the Genesee River Valley, southwest of Rochester, New York. The collection includes a strong emphasis on the area’s rural, agriculture character and the lives of Caledonia-Mumford residents. Objects in the collection include those that represent the history of Caledonia’s Seth Green Fish Hatchery, (the oldest in the northern hemisphere), military artifacts and memorabilia, items pertaining to public education and local spiritual life, toys, paintings and folk art, local African-American history, Native American artifacts, natural history collections, and an extensive costume and textile collection. The collection also includes photographs and archives, including some genealogical materials, and rare paper broadsides. The building itself is a 10,000 sq. ft. addition to the original Caledonia School. The women’s, men’s, and children’s costumes and quilts represent a sub-collection spanning two centuries. Most objects became part of the collection by gift and local connection.

 

avon+genesee+st+3+copy
Avon Preservation & Historical Society
23 Genesee St.
Avon, NY 14414
585 – 226 – 2425,  ext. 22
Contact: http://www.avonpreservation.org/contact
URL: http://www.avonpreservation.org/
The Avon Preservation and Historical Society became a not-for-profit organization in 1983. Our mission is to interpret and preserve the history of our local area by providing diverse historic resources for the public through free educational programs and our fine museum.
F8B93D15E357764E31C2AAAD14262793
Livingston County Historical Society Museum
30 Center St.
Geneseo, NY 14454
585-243-9147
Contact: http://www.livingstoncountyhistoricalsociety.com/contact
URL: http://www.livingstoncountyhistoricalsociety.com/
The Livingston County Historical Society is an educational institution whose purpose is to present, promote, preserve, and value the rich history of Livingston County via its collections, programming, and partnerships.
RGVRRM_Depot
Rochester & Genesee Valley Railroad Museum
P.O. Box 23326
Rochester, NY 14692-3326
585-533-1431
Contact: http://www.rgvrrm.org/contact/
URL: http://www.rgvrrm.org/
The Rochester & Genesee Valley Railroad Museum can trace its roots back to 1937 as the Rochester Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society, the third-oldest chapter in the organization. In 1971 the group purchased the abandoned Industry depot from the Erie Lackawanna Railroad with the goal of restoring it as a museum. Over the last fifty years, we have preserved more than 40 pieces of historic railroad equipment along with our 1909 Erie Railroad passenger station to bring Rochester’s rich railroading heritage to life

 

20160219 Belle 1
National War Plane Museum
3489 Big Tree Lane
Geneseo, NY 14454
585-243-2100
Contact: nationalwarplanemuseum@gmail.com
URL: http://www.nationalwarplane.org/
Dedicated to the restoration, preservation, display, and flight of aircraft of the World War II and Korean War eras, as well as the recognition of all United States Military personnel for their service and sacrifice.
Jello Museum
LeRoy Historical Society and Jello Gallery Museum
23 E Main St
Le Roy, NY 14482
(585) 768-7433
Contact: http://www.leroyhistoricalsociety.org/visit-us.html
URL: http://www.jellogallery.org/
URL: http://www.leroyhistoricalsociety.org/index.html

The home of Jacob LeRoy, land agent for the 86,000 acre Triangle Tract in the 1820s, has become a museum and offers exhibits and three floors of period rooms.

Also, the Jell-O Museum contains the history of Jell-O, invented in LeRoy in 1897.

16998827_1478288695537075_6239886035613960447_n
New York Museum of Transportation
6393 East River Road
Rush, NY
(585) 533-1113
Contact: info@nymtmuseum.org
URL: http://www.nymtmuseum.org/index.php
The museum’s exhibit spaces feature a collection of antique trolley cars, a steam locomotive, fire truck, ambulance, operating model railroad, many other vehicles, and numerous exhibits of photographs and artifacts pertaining to local transportation history.

The Stafford Museum of History
8903 Route 237
P.O. Box 28
Stafford, NY 14143
(585)343-3833
The Stafford Museum of History was built in 2004 and is attached to the Town of Stafford Town Hall. The museum in one large room in which artifacts are well presented in nice display cabinets and information panels. This museum doesn’t try to show you everything, just some great representations of early settlement life in Western New York. The Morganville Pottery collection is popular with visitors. In the nearby hamlet of Morganville, a type of pottery was made that included a distinct reddish hue (from the local excavated clay).

 

Image may contain: house, tree, sky, plant and outdoor
The Wheatland Historical Society

69 Main Street
Scottsville, New York, 
(585) 538-4219
In 1972 a group of citizens formed the Wheatland Historical Association to help in the preservation of our Town’s history. The Association is an independent organization, not affiliated with the local Town Government. The Association’s mission is to promote and encourage research and knowledge of the history of the Town of Wheatland and its environs. The Wheatland Historical Association owns and maintains the Sage-Marlowe House, a fully restored and furnished 1830s workingman’s house at 69 Main Street in Scottsville. The Association also owns and maintains the Skivington Collection. Both the house and collection can be accessed by the public by appointment or during open house events, call (585) 538-4219 for further details.

 

Other events of interest:

More information